*Just an ordinary Temple Pillar!*
Do you think this is just an ordinary Temple Pillar?
This “Dwadasha Lakshna Stambha” - 12 Elements Pillar is of “Vishnu Kanta”
(Octagonal) class of Hindu temple pillars from Surya Mandir, Modhera, Gujarat.
1) Ghata/Ahvaana Patta - Base Water pot like Kalasa/Welcome Band generally contains Sri Ganesha or Sri Maha Lakshmi.
2) Simhamukha Patta - Lion Band – represents the Valor and Courage.
3) Dwarapala Patta - Guardian Band - Guardians of the presiding deity in the temple are present.
4) Vadaka/Vadaki patta - Musicians Band singing in reverence of the god.
5) Avatara patta - Manifestation Band - different Avataras of presiding deity.
6) Kalika Patta - Lotus Bud Band – indicates the potentiality of everybody to attain moksha.
7) Khandika/Ghanta Patta - Bell band - signifies the impermanence, transient creation of this universe through sound.
8) Deva Gana Patta - Embodiments of divine features - resembles all good characters of divinity.
9) Gandharva Patta
- Geometrical Band basically Vajra or Padma Kulika are present. Vajra indicates indestructibility. Padma Kulika indicates - probability of moksha all human beings.
10) Kirtimukha Patta - Kirtimukha is the embodiment of dedication to his master Mahadev.
11) Kumbhika/Purnakumbha - Kalasa - water pot at the top.
12) Seersha - Head/Capital of a pillar - represents how important sirsa is in bearing weight like Head takes care of a human body.Ghata at base is representation of water, Kumbhika at the top is representation of water - is an indication of how life emerges in water and ends in water.